24 Hour Read-a-Thon: Mini Challenge

Lynn from Chronicle of an Infant Bibliophile is hosting this 24 Hour Read-a-Thon: Mini Challenge where we're asked to remember five books we enjoyed as a child or five books we enjoy reading to our children. This is definitely a difficult challenge because there so many wonderful children's books...so off the top of my head, here are my five...(not in any particular order).


Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel and Blair Lent
A wonderful book with a protaganist with a very long name, Tikki tikki tembo-no sa rembo-chari bari ruchi-pip peri pembo, which means the most wonderful thing in the whole world.



The Rascally Cake by Jeane Willis and Korky Paul
The Ghastly Mr. O'Parsley decides to one day bake a Rascally Cake. A funny book with rollicking rhymes and fun illustrations




The Sneetches and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss
All the books by Dr. Seuss are wondeful but this one is a particular favourite.
"Now the star-belly sneetches had bellies with stars and the plain-belly sneetches had none upon thars."




The Digging-est Dog by Al Perkins
Another favourite from childhood that I just can't forget. It's about a dog who learns how to dig and eventually digs up the whole town. Wondefully illustrated.



The Bike Lesson by Stan Berenstain and Jan Berenstain
Brother Bear gets a brand new bike but before he can ride it, Papa Bear gives him several lessons with disastrous results.

Comments

  1. I think you're the first person to mention Tikki Tikki Tembo, and I LOVED it when I was younger. I felt so wonderfully clever when I could finally recite the name from memory! I haven't reread it as an adult, and I'm hesitant to, because I have a feeling the stereotypes will seem inappropriate, but I do remember it fondly. I also love anything with the Berenstain Bears. Thanks so much for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not heard of any of those! Wonder if any might be good for my young cousins.

    I love the picture you have down the side of your blog now :) Must figure out how to do something like that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the Sneetches - my favorite of those stories is probably the one about the pale green pants with nobody inside them. I love the final picture, where they're sitting together all friendly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Tikki Tikki Tembo too! I am still looking for a copy of that book, hoping I'll luck out at the bargain bookstore one day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved The Sneetches when I was a kid. My favorite Dr. Suess is Green Eggs and Ham...I'm still not tired of it:) Somehow we have missed The Digging-est Dog. I will put this one as well as The Bike Lesson and Rascally Cake on our list for the next trip to the library. I agree that it would be difficult to come up with a list...there are so many!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts