Young Adult Fiction, Winners and Losers



I loved the Hunger Games and if you haven't read it yet, then you're in for a treat! It was so entertaining and such a refreshing change from the more serious novels I've been reading lately. I'm not really an avid follower of Young Adult fiction.  I really disliked the Twilight series but after two books from the Hunger Games, I was spurned to try more books from this genre.

Patrick Ness' The Knife of Never Letting Go was not bad however I had trouble getting through the second book which I thought was more of the same. I also read a Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray and I think it should be renamed the Ghastly and Terrible Book. I admit there was some promise in the beginning and maybe under a more talented writer and editor this could have turned into a better novel. Recently I was attracted by the cover and the reviews of the Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink. I was really hoping this would be a scary read for Halloween week but it was ultimately disappointing. I gave up after reading a third of the book. It was just so cliched and it reminded me of that awful apocalyptic movie with Demi Moore. The name escapes me right now. Was it called the Seven Signs? Anyway, please don't pick up the latter two books unless you feel like wasting your money and throwing the books out the window.



I did end up with one YA winner though, Sorcery and Cecilia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer. I read about Wrede at Jenny's Books and I was intrigued by her comments and the cover of the book not to mention the title. It's set in early 1800s England and two young cousins, Kate and Cecelia seem to be constantly running into wizards with mysterious agendas. It's a delightfully witty and cozy read. Saying more will just spoil it. The book is written in Jane Austen style with a dash of  J.K. Rowling thrown it. I can't believe I've never heard of this book as it's not a new one. It was published in 1988. Anyway, there's more in the series if you enjoy this one and Wrede seems to have written more YA winners.

Have you read any of these? I'd love to hear your own recommendations for YA novels past or present.

Comments

  1. I Agree on "Prophecy of The Sisters-a very cliched book in plot as well as characters. A lot of the dialogue is really silly-no other word for it-I finishe this book as it easy to read, I needed a very light read and I also admit because I bought it!-I have recently read "The Giver" by Lois Lowry and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently picked up Great and Terrible Beauty because it looked like a good read, thanks for your honest comments. I think I will hold off on it for now.
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so pleased you liked it! Sadly the two sequels are not nearly as good. I was thrilled when they put Sorcery and Cecelia back in print though - you're right, the cover is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I never read YA fiction. Maybe I should.

    LOVE the new blog by the way, I wish I was as good as you when it comes to making it look aesthetically pleasing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Rachel - I love your blog the way it is but if you want to add extras, check out: shabbyblogs.com. That's where I got my background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Sorcery and Cecelia and actually liked the sequels as well, though I read them a while after the first.

    Thanks for the honest reviews on the others; I'll probably bump Libba Bray further down on the TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Mrs. B! I was really intrigued by Prophecy of the Sisters but, thankfully, I don't need to be bothered about buying myself a copy. Most of the reviews I've read about this book say that it's terrible!

    However, I did love Patrick Ness's two novels -- The Knife of Never Letting Go and The Ask and the Answer. I can't wait for the 3rd book of the trilogy! I wonder why you had a tough time finishing it though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts