A Persephone Surprise



Thank you so much Claire from Kiss a Cloud for your wonderful Persephone Christmas present! I was a bit worried that my package didn't have a card so I was wondering who my Santa was but luckily Claire dropped me a note yesterday to let me know.

My Persephone present is the New House by Lettice Cooper. It's a Persephone that was also published by Virago so this is a doubly special present for me and it's a complete surprise. It's a terrific choice Claire!

From Amazon:
"All that outwardly happens in The New House is over one long day a family move from a large imposing secluded house with beautiful gardens to a small one overlooking a housing estate. But all the characters and their relationships with each other are so lovingly portrayed that one cares passionately what happens even to the unpleasant ones. "


(endpaper of the New House)

I'm so looking forward to reading this. Thank you so much Secret Santa and thank you to Stacy at  Psmith for organising everything.

My giftee was Sarah, at What We Have Here is a Failure to Communicate. You can check out my gift to her at her blog.

Did you participate? What did you receive from your Persephone Secret Santa?

Comments

  1. I can't wait to see what you think of this one...I have been on the fence about adding it to my Persephone wishlist. For those endpapers alone, I just might give in:) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome! I'm happy you like it. Hope you enjoy reading it as much. I chose it because I thought it was one of the most substantial titles they have, and still has a domestic quality about it, which I found to be present in the other titles you already owned. Happy holidays! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did participate, and I couldn't be happier with my gift :D Yours sounds wonderful as well, and the endpaper is simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely choice by the other Claire! This is a Persephone that so far has escaped my notice and of course now I want to read it! I didn't know that it was another cross-over Virago and Persephone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @claire - thanks again. It's definitely a Persephone I haven't noticed before but I'm sure I'll love it.

    @nymeth and PSmith - yes, the endpaper is lovely isn't it?

    @Paperback Reader - I don't there are many Persephones that were also published by Virago but this seems to be one of them. I remember Verity reviewed it not so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I loved that one! Lucky you :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the lovely book!! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I intend to enjoy mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those endpapers are gorgeous! I am not familiar with this one but I am very familiar with Claire. Anything she selected is bound to be a winner. Happy reading and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great book. What a great swap! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts